Batman: Arkham Knight Details
The first details of Rocksteady’s last go with the Dark Knight have surfaced. It looks like Batman: Arkham Knight is going to be the most ambitious Batman game yet.
- Last Batman game for Rocksteady, will work on something totally new next.
- There will be a brand new villain, something made by Rocksteady that they say will be the ultimate test for Batman. Arkham Knight isn’t just the name of the game.. it’s also the name of the [new] villain
- Batmobile can be called at any moment with a button.
- The city streets are much wider to allow for the batmobile. You will rocket jump off ramps and do all sorts of cool maneuvers.
- You can eject jump out of the batmobile right into a super fast glide straight through the glass of a building to knock out enemies. They said glass breaking will be a big new thing.
- New moves include being able to use all your gadgets during flight. You now have a counter throw where you counter a guy and throw him into another guy. A new quick ground takedown. A quick backflip where you then throw a batarang in an enemies face.
- For the predator sections you can now chain takedowns of up to four enemies. For instance pop out of a grate and take one guy, jump to the next and so on. You can now enter grates from a distance, he will automatically do a jump or roll to enter them.
- Batmobile fires missles and stun guns. It destroys anything it touches so if you bump into cars the cars go flying. It’s basically unstoppable.
- Story is that after Joker’s death all the criminals decided to work together and their plan comes together this night where they plan to kill batman. The article talks mostly about Scarecrow, he scattered bombs throughout Gotham.
- Oracle will play a larger role, you get to visit her base and talk to her, tons of batman easter eggs included.
- Kevin Conroy is Batman, all the previous voice actors are back.
- Gotham City is 5 times bigger than Arkham City. Split into 3 areas. NO LOAD TIMES at all, entering buildings is seamless.
- They spend a bunch of time talking about how detailed the models are, one character has more polygons than the environment of Arkham Asylum.
- "This is a single-player game. There is no multiplayer."
- No more pre-rendered cinematics everything is done in engine.
- The larger riots can have up to 50 people flipping cars and looting stores.
- Built on a highly customized and enhanced Unreal Engine 3. Think something along the lines of Epic’s ‘Samaritan demo’.
- Things such as Gordon’s trench coat and Batman’s cape now have Apex cloth physics. They react realistically to changes in wind and movement.
- When it rains, beads of water run down Batman’s suit tracing every groove.
- The wrinkles on Gordon’s face crinkle as he talks
- Rocksteady is emphasising that detail is more important than the scale of the world. They don’t want to create the biggest open-world, they want to create the richest, densest and most vibrant city yet.
- Batman will start off with the old batsuit and upgrade at some point in the game.
- The Batmobile is designed to be “the best car in any game ever”, it takes up around 160mb of memory in game and will just about fit in an Xbox 360 (if that was the whole game). There are hundreds of thousands of polygons, as well as textures and shaders used on it.
- By not being cross-gen they’ve been able to push what these next-gen machines can do. This a a real next-gen title.
“An anthropologist proposed a game to children in an African tribe. He put a basket full of fruit near a tree and told the children that whoever got there first won the sweet fruits. When he told them to run, they all took each others hands and ran together, then sat together enjoying their treats.
When he asked them why they had run like that when one could have had all the fruits for himself, they said, ‘UBUNTU, how can one of us be happy if all the other ones are sad?’ (‘UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”
THIS IS BEAUTIFUL
This is my favorite thing in the world
They’re doing it right. I get the feeling children in America would have a different reaction to this
Nah we’re taught to be killers, win at all cost. Its kinda messed up in some ways
Will Smith recognized the cameraman!
so in japan they have this thing where you dress up as ronald mcdonald and you get free food
Batman: Arkham Knight Announced for Next-Gen and PC, My Body is Ready
Rocksteady is ready to make us love Batman all over again, next-gen style. Arkham Knight is the explosive finale to the Arkham series. You’ll see old friends like the Scarecrow, Penguin, Two-Face & Harley Quinn.
Batman: Arkham Knight is set in Gotham City and introduces a uniquely designed version of the Batmobile, which will be drivable in the game!
As preorder bonus, for the first time you will also be able to play as Harley Quinn in exclusive challenge maps. More details as they come folks.
UPDATED WITH FIRST IN-GAME SCREEN